Friday, January 15, 2010

Do you take you cat to a professional to get his or her nails cut or do you try to cut them yourself?

You can take your cat to a groomer or vet but if you're up to it there is no reason not to do it yourself. (of course your cat may think otherwise but it's always worth a try)





To trim the nails place your cat in your lap or on the floor between your legs. Press on the pad of its paw with your fingers to make the claws come forward. The main part of the claw includes the pinkish-colored area, which contains nerves. Do not cut this part. The white tip (just past the pinkish area) is the dead tissue, which can be cut. Simply take the nail trimmer and cut this white tip off.Do you take you cat to a professional to get his or her nails cut or do you try to cut them yourself?
We cut our cats' nails ourselves. We have two of them. One person holds the cat with one arm, and holds a bag of catnip in front of their nose with the other hand. They just go in a trance and the second person starts cutting the nails. It's done in no time.Do you take you cat to a professional to get his or her nails cut or do you try to cut them yourself?
You can do it yourself. I put my in a towel and hold them and i have my boyfriend cuts them. If you do them yourself just becareful and don't cut them down to the quick. Thats where the pink part starts.
I take mine (Turkish Angora) to the groomer to have ANYTHING done. He will NOT allow me to do anything to him except spoil him rotten. You've got to be really careful in nail clipping because there's a vein that runs through the nail, and if you cut that, you're going to have blood all over, and maybe even a trip to the vet to stop the bleeding. Believe me, a groomer is a WHOLE LOT cheaper than a ';repair job'; at the vet. A groomer usually only charges about $10 to $15 for a nail clipping, some do it for less. Plus, there's a lot less wear and tear on YOU and your cat. They're always ';good'; for somebody else.
It is relatively easy to trim a cat's nails. I trim all of my own cat's nails, except for one. She has to be lightly sedated by the vet so they can be trimmed. But she is certainly not the ';norm.';





If you start when a cat is a kitten, it is easier to get the cat to cooperate. Start out by trimming only one or two nails with lots of praise and a treat. This also work's with older cats as well. Patience is the key.





Make sure not to cut too close. Cut where the nail ';hooks'; or ';humps'; over.





Good luck!
I do my cats myself, it's not hard and then after I give them a treat.
I do it myself. I got them as kittens so I just started doing it right away to get them used to it. Neither enjoys the process but they submit. I always give them a treat afterwards too.





One tip I learned is not to pull the cats leg away from it's body. Keep it as close to them as possible.
I do all our cat's nails twice a month. Right after doing mine. They ALL know the sound of the fingernail clippers and some will run at first, but I talk them through it and it's not much of a problem.
I started cutting my cat's nails when he was a kitten. He wasn't too keen at first but got more comfortable and doesn't seem to mind now.





Like others said, you have to be careful not to cut them too short or it will hurt your cat. I accidentally cut one of my cat's nails too short *once* and he still flinches a little when I get to that one. It feels awful to know that I hurt him :\
I have two cats. I do the one myself becasue he will let me trim his nails and bathe him. The other one I have to take somewhere to get everything done because I have been scratched and bit so many times I just gave up
i cut them myself, just go to like a target or walmart or whatever you have and go to the cat/dog section, they have toe nail clippers for pets, real easy. and a lot cheaper

No comments:

Post a Comment